Monday, May 21, 2012

This and That...

  • When you take a baby as cute as Bonnie out in public, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a lot of attention. Lots of ohhhs and ahhhs and how cutes. Inevitably people ask what her name is. It's tough work naming things, I sure don't envy Adam his task of naming all the animals. When we had to name Jericho it was quite an exercise. Luckily, Bonnie's name wasn't that hard because she's basically named after my Grandmother. We LOVED the name, and were surprised when not everyone we told (before she was born) was as excited about it as we were. After a child is born, people tend to keep their mouths shut about whether they like it or not, so I don't really expect snarky comments from the general public when they ask her name. But one thing I didn't expect, is how genuinely proud I am to say her name. It's sweet, and girly, and adorable just like she is. I hope she grows up proud of her name, and proud to be named after someone as awesome as my Grandmother.
  • On a related note, that's why when we get around to having our second child, we're not going to tell people the name we've chosen until the child is born. No ones opinion matters on the name, except ours, therefore no one gets an opinion. Also, just for the fun of it, I'm considering not sharing the gender either. Johnathan and I will know, but no one else will. *insert evil laugh*
  • It's so fun to see Bonnie's personality come out in relation to toys. In order to get more of a bedtime routine in place for her, I've started to read to her before bedtime. The other night I was reading a book that has pictures with texture. The first few pictures I pulled her hand out and made her feel. She didn't seem too interested so I stopped. But along came the next picture with a baby chick on it and Bonnie leaned forward and touched it all on her own! Mama was proud! Also, the other day I had her in her Bumbo and she kept dropping her toy, so I attached the little table that comes with it to hold her toy. Well forget the toy! She made it her life's mission to disconnect the table top and she was successful. Once she'd pulled it off, she kicked it away. Stubborn like Mommy and Daddy, this is going to be an interesting household.
  • Over the next two weeks I'm going to seriously begin my attempt to stop breastfeeding. It's so bittersweet. I completely understand that I'm lucky and have no problem producing milk. I know many mothers would love to be in my position. I have no physical reason to stop, and many women do it for a full year. I know I'll miss it when I'm done, but I feel like it's the right decision for me (I've discussed some of those here). I'm actually proud of myself for making it this long, in the beginning I didn't think I would. We've already started supplementing with a little formula to get her use to it. It's funny how when 2 ounces of formula go to waste, I don't care. But if 2 ounces of breast milk goes to waste, I'm genuinely upset by it. I put a lot of effort into that breast milk, whereas the formula is just money lost. Regardless of where you stand on breastfeeding (and I'm sure there's a bunch of strong opinions out there) please send me warm thoughts over the next few weeks, as it's not going to be pleasant.
Bonnie's bonnet...how cute!


1 comment:

  1. I'm working on weaning, too. Surprisingly not easy!

    I love Bonnie's name, even more so because she was named after her Grandmom. She's such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete