Thursday, August 2, 2012

Underwear, Unicorns, and Babies...oh my

When I was little I use to sleep walk. Sometimes it was simple: walking into the living room and telling my Dad that I was there to watch TV. Sometimes a more sordid affair: walking into the bathroom, taking off my underwear and putting it in the toilet. To the frightening: standing in the hallway outside my Dad and brothers rooms and screaming at the top of my lungs, "We're all gonna die!!!!!!"

Did you know that sleep walking is hereditary? I got my sleep walkers badge from my Grandmother. Did you know not to wake up a sleep walker? I know from personal experience that it's pretty traumatizing. To wake up from a dead sleep; to be in a place and situation you don't expect!? Tears and hysterics abound.

As I grew older, it changed. I didn't walk so much as talk. Over the last few years it manifested itself as middle of the night discussions/arguments with Johnathan.

Sleeping Me: We should really take the unicorn to the museum this weekend.
Sleepy Johnathan: What? Unicorn? You're crazy, not making sense, and you're sleeping
Indignant (sleepy) Me: I am too making sense! The unicorn! Don't tell me you don't remember the unicorn!? And I am so awake! I've been laying here thinking FOREVER!
Annoyed Johnathan: I just heard you snoring, you're not awake. Go to sleep.
Childish (grumbling) Me: Am so awake! *humph**roll over*

But here's the kicker, I would remember it all in the morning which isn't common for sleep walk/talking. The next day I would sheepishly apologize to Johnathan, and he would graciously tell me, "yeah, you were crazy." Touche.

Over the last few weeks, I've developed a new manifestation. Panicking and scrambling to keep Bonnie from either being crushed in the middle of the bed, or from falling off the bed. I'll see her shadow sitting up about to tumble, and I lunge grabbing and shaking Johnathan trying to catch her. Obviously this disturbs his sleep, because naturally any hysterical woman would disturb. The thing is, Bonnie hasn't slept in our room for at least a month so it's complete lunacy (see how I did that!? lunar. moon. night. sleep. crazy.). Aside from it bothering Johnathan, it bothers me. Who wants to have moments of panic every night? Certainly not I.

I'm sure it's because Bonnie is getting more and more mobile which means she has to be monitored more then she use to. I have a theory that every baby gets dropped at least once in their life, but we've been lucky that hasn't happened to Bonnie yet. It's "easy" to be nonchalant about dropped babies when it's not your own. Sure, sure, they're resilient, blah, blah. I know all that, it's just...it's MY BABY!

Have any of y'all gone through baby hallucinations? Or am I alone on this mattress!?

No comments:

Post a Comment